Pumpkin soup recipe
Do you know if you could use a pumpkin in a savoury dish? When I first heard about pumpkin soup, I thought: “Hey, soup made out of a pumpkin? I’ve eaten pumpkin before, but always as a dessert, sweet. Is pumpkin soup tasty?” Well, I must honestly say that after I had tasted pumpkin soup I was sold right away. And I wanted to cook pumpkin soup myself too. Because it is so tasty because it’s “pumpkin season” at the moment and because it is very simple to make. And I want to share my recipe with you.
These are the ingredients you need for your pumpkin soup:
– 1 pumpkin of about 1 1/2 kg.
– 2 onions- 2 cloves of garlic (4 will be o.k. too if you like the soup a bit more spicy )
– 0.250 kg. winter carrot (all other carrot variations are also good to use)
– 4 tbsp. olive oil (you can also use coconut butter or clarified butter/ghee)
– 2 dried laurel leaves
– 1 tsp. ground cumin
– 1 vegetable bouillon tablet
– 200 gr. sour cream
– 1 L. water
This is how you proceed:
1. Wash the pumpkin well with water. Cut it in two and remove the seeds. Cut the pumpkin into large pieces and put them together with the laurel leaves and the vegetable bouillon tablet in a pan. You do not have to peel the pumpkin, the skin is also eatable. Pour in the water and bring to boil. Let it cook for about 30 minutes until the pumpkin parts have softened. Then remove the laurel leaves.
2. Chop the onion and garlic in small pieces. Peel the carrot and cut into slices. Heat the oil in a large pan, fry the onion and the winter carrot. In the end, add the garlic and the cumin powder to the onion and the carrot.
3. Puree the cooked pumpkin using a food processor or a blender and season with salt and pepper. Add the fried onion, winter carrot and garlic. Stir in the sour cream well, so that the soup becomes smooth and creamy.
Ladle the soup into deep plates or bowls and add some sour cream. Sprinkle with pepper and fresh parsley. Serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!